As the summer winds down and the vibrant summer fruits become scarce and expensive, I find it hard to let go. Days like today are a dream. For just a second, the 90 degree heat on my skin brings me back to those easy July weekends.
This dish is sure to do the same. A piece of beautiful, pink salmon is laid atop a bed of ozro, dressed with a warm sautee of the juiciest peaches, bright red cherry tomatoes, fennel and red onion. Everything is garnished with a sprinkle of tarragon leaves, bringing out more of that anise flavor. It is beautiful, light and delicious, bringing you back to those warm summer days.
Salmon with Warm Peach Orzo
1 lb Salmon fillet
1 cup Orzo
1/2 large Red Onion
1/4 Jalapeno pepper (deseed to reduce heat)
1/2 large bulb of Fennel (or Anise)
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1. Season the salmon with salt and pepper to your liking. Preheat the broiler.
2. Prepare the orzo according to the box’s instructions. When the orzo is al dente, reserve 3 tbsp of the cooking water and strain the orzo into a colander. Reserve the orzo in a bowl and season lightly with olive oil and salt
3. Slice the red onion, fennel, jalapeno and peach. Sautee the red onion, jalapeno and fennel with olive oil until it is soft. Add the peaches and cherry tomato, and sautee until they release some of their juices. Add the reserved orzo water. Season everything with salt and pepper. Add the sautee to the orzo and mix well.
4. Broil the salmon for about 6 minutes (or until it is easily flaked with a fork). Split it into two portions and remove from the skin.
5. Place the orzo on a plate and top with a piece of salmon. Garnish with tarragon leaves.